Man beaten unconscious in late-night racial attack in Prahran: police

 
June 21, 2015 – 1:32PM
Steve Lillebuen

TABCCTV1

A 33-year-old man has been beaten unconscious – twice – during a late-night attack in front of stunned onlookers.

The man, originally from Kenya, had been trying to ignore a group of three men who began following him, shouting racial abuse as he left a Chapel Street nightclub.

But the group continued taunting him until he was finally set upon in a Prahran car park just after 3am on Sunday.

CCTV footage from the scene of a racial attack in Prahran on Sunday morning. Photo: Victoria Police

The man was knocked out by repeated blows to the head, regained consciousness, and was then knocked out again with another kick to the head, police said.

Shocked onlookers near the car park, on the corner of Princes Close and Little Chapel Street, rushed to help the man while the three attackers fled.

The man suffered such severe facial injuries that he’s been unable to tell police exactly what happened.

CCTV footage from the scene of a racial attack in Prahran on Sunday morning.

But Detective Senior Constable Katie Johnston said the entire attack has been captured on CCTV cameras.

“We’ve seen it and it’s disgusting, to be honest,” she said.

“This one is particularly sickening. Very brutal. And the fact that he’s been rendered unconscious, twice, in a matter of 30 seconds is just disgusting.”

She said the three men were much larger than the man, who remains in The Alfred hospital in a serious but stable condition.

“He didn’t physically stand any chance,” she said. “He was just sticking up for himself and it’s ended up with himself in hospital.”

Two of the men were Caucasian in appearance while the third man was perceived to be of Islander appearance with short, black dreadlocks.

Police have released images of the men taken from CCTV footage of the area, as well as images of three others who were in the area and may be able to help in the investigation.

Anyone who witnessed the attack or has information is asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Source

Debbie Stavro – “homosexuals who are feral with their sexual activities”

You do of course remember Victoria Police groupie and podium bigot Debbie Stavro.

This week in Victoria the focus is on the International AIDS Conference which brings together scientists and activists from all over the world who are on the front line of fighting this devastating disease.

However oblivious to this and having cleansed Victoria of “efnic crime” Debbie has now cast her gaze towards “teh_geis” as she demonstrates in the following conversation with a couple of Facebook posters:

 

debbiestavro1

debbiestavro2

Then Debbie decides that one of the posters should be chewed over on the basis that he might or might not be an “efnic” not approved of by Debbie.

debbiestavro3

Well actually Debbie he’s a Pastafarian from Gallifrey who will zap you in an instant with his noodly appendage.

Be afraid!

Do us all a favour Debbie. Catch up with the 21st Century.

Like Victoria Police and its Commissioner have done. Ken Lay is down there at the front of the police contingent in the annual Pride March held in February each year

 Protecting LGBTI people from homophobic bigots like Debbie

Facebook bogots “helping” police with their inquiries

From the Victoria Police Facebook page

vicpol1

It is obvious the police wish to apprehend and charge this person with an unspecified offence and are requesting the assistance of the public in reporting his whereabouts.

However this does not stop the usual suspects from posting bogot drivel.

vicpol3

 

vicpol2

 More criminology from the Bogot Brigade followed this post

vicpol6

vicpol5

vicpol7

vicpol8

vicpol9

On a related post we were invited to share the brain farts of two fakies

vicpoldicksauce1

vicpolgypsy1

Yep how did you know?

Maybe he was born in Australia like the vast majority of offenders in Australia.

Self-appointed adviser to the Victoria Police on ‘ Efnic Affairs” Debbie Stavro holds forth on a recent arrest

vicpol10

vicpol11

 

vicpol13Soulmates “Gypsy Moon” and Debbie then snuggle up to pass judgement on a suspect based entirely on a facial composite reconstruction.

Way to go girls!

vicpolgypsy2

vicpol14

And as they display their hatred for all to see wonder if the self-righteous bigot drongos commentating on the page have considered that prejudicial media commentary can jeopardise successful prosecutions of offenders

THIS IS A BLOKE’S ISSUE


By Ken Lay
September 4, 2013
I want you all to imagine something with me. Imagine that each week an Australian is murdered at a train station.

That each week, someone’s brother or sister; mother or father is violently killed getting on or off a train. Picture it?

Now picture the public response.

It would be a front-page news story in each of our capital cities. Police would flood our stations, while people would avoid public transport in favour of private cars. Congestion would quickly become a major problem, as the number of cars on the roads increased. The word “crisis” would pepper our talkback.

Can you imagine it?

Okay.

Now I have another figure — a real figure — that I think is just as horrific. A figure that is just as worthy of galvanising our sympathy and outrage. But it doesn’t.

The figure is this: every week a woman is murdered by her partner or ex-partner.

Every week this happens.

Now, our public response isn’t at all like we imagined it would be if those victims died not in their family rooms but at train stations.

Why do you think that is?

I’ll tell you why I think it is.

Because what happens in someone else’s home doesn’t affect us. And because we are constantly misapprehending the nature of violence. We do this because we want to feel safer — so we apportion complicity to those who die violently. In our heads, we make them somehow responsible for the wickedness that befell them. When we do this, we feel better. We feel safer.

And it’s also much, much easier to do this when the crimes are domestic — when they’re behind closed doors. When it happens we might think “Well, why did she marry him?” just as we might think of a rape victim, “Well, why was she wearing a short skirt?”

When we imagine this sort of complicity for the victim — when we essentially blame them — we are congratulating ourselves for our superior judgement, a judgement that will ensure it never happens to us.

But when we do this we are injuring our imaginations, which is the lifeblood of our sympathy. When we do this, we come up with the wrong answers about why violence happens. And when we do this, we make it less likely anybody will care enough to do anything.

In blaming victims, we create a lot of myths about family violence. Here are some of them:

that the victim must have incited the abuse;
that the victim is guilty of awful judgement;
that if the woman’s life was endangered, she would simply leave.

No, no and no. These are myths and they’re getting in the way of honesty. In order to discard these myths, I’m going to broaden our story a little.

I place family violence in a long continuum of violence against women. I place family violence in a wider culture where vulgar and violent attitudes to women are common.

So as I try to correct some myths — and as I explain the urgency of this problem — let me begin at one end of the continuum.

In July, I wrote a piece on violence against women as part of the Herald Sun’s “Take a Stand” campaign. At the beginning of my piece I introduced a fictional — but unfortunately realistic — scenario.

Susie is 21. She’s just finished uni exams and decides to head out for a night with friends. Within the first two hours she’s been groped twice. The first from a leering drunk. The second happens from behind, anonymously, as Susie’s making her way through a crowd.

Susie feels a lot of things — saddened, humiliated and a little frightened. But she’s not surprised. This, she knows, happens every single day. Some women plan their evenings around avoiding it. As men, how often — if ever — do we do that?

Now, if you’re wondering what this has to do with tonight’s theme, what it has to do with the drunk belting teeth from his wife’s mouth, I’ll tell you:

Our culture is filled with men who hold an indecent sense of entitlement towards women.

Our culture is heavy with warped and misspent masculinity.

And every single day the casual groping and lewd comments that go unchallenged erode our standards.

And if none of us are saying anything, then this feral atmosphere gets worse, until it becomes an endorsement of violence against women.

If you think I’m exaggerating, consider the recent World Health Organisation’s report that found that violence against women had reached “a global health problem of epidemic proportions.”

And yes, that includes Australia.

The Organisation’s report found that a third of the world’s women had been assaulted.

If you think I’m exaggerating, consider Victoria’s crime statistics for the previous financial year. During 2012/13, there were 60,829 incidents where police submitted family incidence reports. This is a rise of 21.6% on the 50,000 reports submitted the previous year. 60,000 incidents in Victoria alone.

Grim statistics can be found all over the world.

In the United States, 3,200 US soldiers were killed between 2000 and 2006. In that same time in the US, three times as many people were killed in domestic homicides.

If you still think I’m exaggerating, consider the almost total absence in our culture of men writing about the casual molestation of women.

Violence against women — in whatever form — is not solely a feminist issue. It’s a social issue… It’s a blokes’ issue.

And if you still need to be convinced that this is a public matter, just wonder where you think the 8 year-old boy who watches his Mum gurgle on her own blood ends up.

Think about the kids.

So I’ve now explained to you some of our misapprehensions and myths about violence — that it’s a private matter or that the victims are to blame somehow.

And I’ve now explained to you the urgency. Now let me give you my challenges.

Men, I need your help in making any form of indecency against women deeply shameful.

I want you to use the full measure of your profession and your passion to try to correct this.

I want you to use radio and newspaper and TV; I want you to use boardroom and community meetings; I want you to talk about it with colleagues and children.

Men, when an estimated 20 per cent of Australian women have been sexually assaulted — and when we know that sexual assault is massively under-reported — we can’t say we don’t have a problem.

I want you to consider what shallow sense of masculinity validates abuse. I want you to consider what twisted sense of entitlement compels a man to grab a woman in a bar or call her a slut.

Men, I want you to consider why blokes are so quiet on these issues. Then I need you to correct that silence.

To all of you, I ask that you help repel a callousness that has crept into our society.

Callousness and complacency.

What I want to leave you with is a sense of the complacency we must battle.

And a sense of the prevailing, damaging attitudes towards women.

We must all stand up to these things wherever they occur.

Not just at community forums, but on trams and trains and streets. In the workplace and our sporting clubs.

With our children.

I talk a lot about ethical leadership in my position, and how I frame it for my audiences — how I explain why people fail to act — is often with what psychologists call the bystander effect.

A famous case-study of this phenomenon comes from 1968, when a young New Yorker called Kitty Genovese was murdered in front of her apartment.

About 40 witnesses did nothing.

The bystander effect looks at why there is less likelihood of bystanders responding when there are more people around.

Now what psychologists have found is that people don’t fail to intervene because of malice or indifference. What they found is that most people fail to intervene because of simple social anxiety. People become self-conscious: what if no-one else helps? What if my appraisal of the situation is wrong? What if my help isn’t wanted? What if people think I’m a busybody?

There’s also the assumption that somebody else will help — an assumption that increases with a larger number of bystanders. So what happens is there’s a collective reluctance to act until somebody else has acted. Once somebody has, it becomes the normal thing to do — the barrier to action has been broken.

And that’s my challenge to you: be that circuit-breaker. Be that person that says something — again and again and again.

Because if we shrug our shoulders when a sex worker is murdered — or a wife is battered to death — then we’re diminished as a community.

Ken Lay is the Chief Commissioner of Victoria Police.

Source

‘Justice’ worker accused of racist tirade

A WOMAN believed to be a Victorian Government official is the latest commuter captured on camera launching into a racist tirade on a Melbourne train.

A witness claimed the woman appeared to be wearing a lanyard similar to those worn by Department of Justice employees as she was filmed on a Dandenong-bound service on Tuesday by her victim, who was abused after asking the woman to remove her bag from a seat.

“If my son doesn’t want to sit near someone of your race that’s totally his opinion and neither do I,” the woman says.

“I’m allowed to have my bag here, you don’t own the public network, do you? No you don’t.”

She then closed her argument stating: “I’m not racist, I hate everyone equally.”

The victim took her daughter off the train at Dandenong station where she pleaded her case with two PSOs.

“I was upset and hurt because I love Australia,” the victim told Channel 9.

Passenger Louise Daglish witnessed the attack and said one of the worst comments the offender unleashed was stating the bomb in Hiroshima had not “been big enough”.

“She had a lanyard around her neck with ‘justice’ written on it which she was waving around saying things like, ‘I know the law’,” Ms Daglish said.

“She was leaning over her trying to get her phone (and) yelling ‘I’m going to smash your phone, I’m going to smash you if you don’t give it to me’.”

Despite the victim claiming to have replayed the footage to the PSOs, no action has been taken over the attack.

“I screamed … I thought I didn’t make a good case to the police,” the victim said.

But a Victoria Police spokeswoman said the two PSOs denied the woman presented the footage or told them she had been racially abused, assaulted or personally threatened.

“The PSOs advised her they were not in a position to take action as based on her account of events to them, no offences had occurred,” the statement said.

Source

“Men call me things”

Campaign to fight misogyny ‘flawed’
Michelle Griffin
November 9, 2011 The Age

A TWITTER campaign to highlight anonymous abuse could do more harm than good, warns Australian cyber safety expert Susan McLean.

Using the hashtag #mencallmethings, women in Australia, Britain and the US have started reposting violent and defamatory comments made about them online. The aim is to raise awareness of the viciousness of online misogyny, but Ms Mclean fears the campaign will only encourage abuse.

”It will only inflame the situation,” said Ms McLean, a former police officer who has been working on cyber bullying cases since 1994. Women who receive anonymous threats of rape or assault should go to the police and campaign to get the cases prosecuted, she said, noting the speed with which police tracked down alleged ”collar-bomber” Paul Peters from an anonymous Gmail account.

——————————————————————————————————–

Now hang on Susan. There’s a distinct flavour of “cop-speak”  in your statement.

Clive Pugh

Cop-speak...shifting the blame... in a northerly direction

It’s the misogynist men who make the comments in the first place. They have inflamed the situation, not the women who are fighting back.

Secondly, the “collar-bomb” incident was a critical major hostage incident which was appropriately and successfully dealt with by following correct police procedure. It has nothing to do with sexism or misogyny – the victim could just as well have been a young man or another family member.

It was not in the same crime category as the insidious and ongoing hatred shown by misogynist comments on social media.

Susan McLean’s reaction sounds too much like some of the official reaction to the Slutwalk protesters, as well as reminding us of the comments made by senior Victoria Police when Indian students were being attacked. In other words

…it’s the victim’s fault shhhh…

Sometimes the police will say go away, there’s nothing they could do. They try and fob off people … but it will embarrass police forces around Australia if they were bombarded with these complaints and then they failed to act.”

Susan, police often fail to act . Social media like Facebook and Twitter are often indifferent.

——————————————————————————————————–

The #mencallmethings campaign was launched on Monday by US blogger Sady Doyle.

”People don’t often talk about it, because that’s seen as complaining or whining,” Ms Doyle told The Age.

The campaign does not target the internet trolls who provoke arguments, Ms Doyle said. It’s about exposing personal hatred aimed at women online. ”These people aren’t just saying they hate women in order to get a reaction; they mean it.”

Many columnists, including anti-porn campaigner Melinda Tankard Reist, Princesses and Pornstars author Emily Maguire and Melbourne SlutWalk founder Clementine Bastow, welcomed the campaign.

”I’m absolutely sick and tired of individual creeps telling us they’re going to rape us or kill us,” said social commentator Nina Funnell. ”For so long, we’ve been told to lighten up … But these comments are reflective of a deep misogyny.

”When you get anonymous attacks, you don’t know who those people are … it can lead to paranoia. You have no idea of your level of safety.”

——————————————————————————————-

Women could send screen grabs of misogynist abuse to anti-discrimination site The Anti Bogan, a spokesman for the site said. ”Censorship gets nowhere, but by naming and shaming, we can give these people the publicity they deserve.” The site has exposed Australians by name for racist comments on websites and Facebook.

Please do so

theantibogan@gmail.com

———————————————————————————————-

You can deal with abuse when you know the source, says parenting expert Dannielle Miller, who received an apology after the Facebook page of Australian kickboxing champion John Wayne Parr featured the comment: ”If there was ever a question some females should be punched in the face … ” alongside photos of Ms Miller, Kerri-Anne Kennerley and News Ltd columnist Angela Mollard.

Ms Miller didn’t fear Mr Parr, but she worried that the kickboxer’s fans might take him literally. ”My family were very worried and telling me I had to be careful.”

misogyny

Elsewhere Troll attack campaign goes viral

Source