ROOKIE Broadwater MP Verity Barton has lambasted rail passengers as “icky”, called on welfare payments to be stopped for single parents and couples with children, and said Prime Minister Julia Gillard and former leader Kevin Rudd should stop breathing.
Barton, third-choice LNP candidate for the Gold Coast seat, also said she did not believe in climate change, wanted WorkChoices brought back and described some voters as bogans.
Ms Barton’s outrageous views have been posted on her Facebook page.
The 26-year-old beat Labor’s four-term veteran Peta-Kaye Croft in the state election in March.
Ms Barton, the state’s youngest female in Parliament, got the nod to contest the high-profile seat for the LNP after one candidate resigned when he was caught drink-driving and the replacement candidate was dumped after photos emerged of him taking part in a swingers’ club event.
Political sources last week revealed Ms Barton’s Facebook offerings, some dating to 2009 and her pre-MP days as a shop assistant and Broadwater’s LNP state electorate council chair.
* Sounds like you (a friend) encounter icky QR passengers often.
* I don’t even believe climate change exists.
* Welfare for parents (single or coupled) just shouldn’t exist. If you fall pregnant you’ve got nine months to save/budget.
* Is Craig Emerson (Federal Minister for Trade) drinking? Or is he always just such a d—head?
* If certain people want to reduce carbon emissions they should discourage flatulence and breathing by certain people (Kevin Rudd, Julia Gillard, Penny Wong).
* Do not listen to the bogan when it says it doesn’t care about politics, for it is lying to you.
Ms Barton and Premier Campbell Newman declined to comment.